The coast guard keeps an eye on the sea

Coast guard

Does a foreign vessel need a permit to carry out activities in the Belgian part of the North Sea?

Foreign vessels or companies need to follow a special procedure for obtaining a permit for hydrographic and/or oceanographic activities; this is called a 'diplomatic clearance' or 'dipclear'. For more information: Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs, International Transport Policy, Karmelietenstraat 15, 1000 Brussels (

Faq type: 
Rules at sea